Aburi Girls Senior High School was formally established as a secondary school for girls in the year 1946.Its origins however date as far back as 1852 when the Basel Mission opened a school at primary level for girls at their mission station in Aburi town. The school was so equipped that pupils from the Osu, Krobo Odumase and Akropong mission stations were moved to Aburi. By 1916 a senior girls’ school (standard seven/middle school) had been opened in addition to the junior girls’ school.

The Scottish Missionaries took over the running of the school during the First World War following the
deportation of the Basel Missionaries from the Gold Coast. In 1923, a class on teaching methodology was introduced out of which a teacher training programme eventually emerged and in 1925 a
Kindergarten class; the first of its kind in the country was also opened on the same premises. On the 31st of January 1946, a grammar secondary school for the girls was introduced with seven carefully
selected girls, side by side with the teacher training course. The students initially held classes together with their teacher training counterparts for the first two years and then separated for their respective programmes in the third year.

In 1950 the Presbyterian Church of the Gold Coast (now Ghana) took over the Management of the school when its partner missions the Basel Mission and the Scottish Mission left. The foundation stone
for the construction of the new buildings for the secondary school was laid by Lady Arden Clarke, wife of the Governor of the Gold Coast on 8th November, 1952. The land was customarily and legally acquired
by the Presbyterian Church at Safrom from the Asekyere clan of Aburi through the help of the Aburi Traditional Authority during the reign of Nana Osae Djan II, Aburihene and Adontenhene of the Akuapem Traditional Area who reigned from 1923 to 1975.

On the 10th December 1953 the Secondary School was physically separated from the teacher training and moved to its present site on the outskirts of Aburi; there were 76 students. The official opening of
the school took place on 11th December 1954 at 3.30pm. Classes ran from Form 1 to Form 5 until 1958 when a 6th form was added thereby completing its evolution as a secondary school.

The first Board of Governors was inaugurated on 4th September, 1953 with the Rev. C. H. Clerk, Clerk of Synod of the Presbyterian Church of the Gold Coast as Chairman. On 31st July, 1972, Dr. Mrs. Leticia
Obeng was elected as the first woman to chair the Board of the school.
In 1972 the Methodist Training Collage located on the southern side of the school was closing down so Mrs Joyce Asibey the first Ghanaian Headmistress initiated negotiations with the Methodist Church to
acquire the college premises for the school. The compound was handed over to the school on 31st August, 1972. It is currently called the Irene Anderson Compound, named after the second
Headmistress of Aburi Girls’ Senior High.

The compound had a dining hall, dormitory and classrooms and was used to house Form 1 students. This was done to reduce the incidence of bullying. Due to the increase in numbers in the 1990s this
arrangement was stopped and the old “Metico” building became a bonafide house known as the Irene Anderson House. In 1991 Aburi Girls’ welcomed its first batch of the Senior Secondary School (SSS)
students to the school, after the secondary school system was split into the Junior Secondary School and Senior Secondary School. Currently, the school runs the three year Senior High School programme after which students write the West African Senior School Certificate Examination.

Since its establishment Aburi Girls has been headed by dedicated headmistresses who worked to move
the school forward thereby firmly placing it within the league of the first-class schools:
Miss Elsie Mckillican 1946-1953
Miss Irene Anderson 1953-1971
Mrs Joyce Lucy Asibey 1971-1988
Mrs Grace Ansa-Otu 1988-2001
Mrs Sylvia Asempa 2002-2011
Ms Rosemond Bampo 2011-2016

From May 2001 to January 2002, Mrs Akosua Takyiwa Adu, the then District Director of Education for Akuapem South had oversight responsibility over the school. Mrs. Alice PrempehFordjour, the current headmistress assumed office on Monday 5th September 2016.